Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Fruit Picking

Hi ...I started picking feijoa; a small green fruit like unripe guava and tastes similar to kiwi, last Wednesday and it was pretty tiring. Anyway, what's important is 1.5 days of work will take care of my room rent for a week. I'm paid by the hour instead of per crates as the unripe fruit once it's picked, won't ripe on its own. And I get to eat while I work, hehehe. Once the feijoa season ends in 4 weeks, I'll move on to picking something else; kiwi, mandarin or maybe even daffodils.

I didn't know about the missing ozone layer in NZ, hence the strong UV. My Japanese dorm-mate told me UV in NZ is 7 times stronger than in Japan! I quickly rushed to buy sunscreen lotion but damage is already done. My legs and hands which have been exposed to the sun now look so 'kedut' (wrinkled). No wonder the kwai-lo and kwai-poh in NZ look so old. I think by the end of my 6-month stint in NZ, I will look like I've aged 6 years!!!
Pictures: Feijoa & me resting in my bunk.

No comments: